“Dear Santa Claus…
I‘ve been very good this year. Ok, to be honest, maybe not so nice, maybe even naughty sometimes, but I can explain, there are many good justifications, I… I… I’m innocent!
Wait, let’s calm down, I’ll start all over again…
Dear Santa Claus,
I have been good some of the time. Yes, it’s true, you are right, I’ve killed a lot of creatures, maybe thousands of them, but you have to consider that they were just zombies and, like everybody knows, zombies, as well as jellyfishes and lawyers, don’t even have a heart (yeah, I love Gumball…)!
Besides, when, some months ago, you saw me stealing all those cars, you know, I was just practicing for the next chapter of GTA! It has always been my secret dream to build a business and if stealing cars it’s not allowed, then maybe I should engage to the business of smuggling, capisc’?
You have to be understanding, the real life is hard, after all, it kills you! Life, for you, is quite simple, you don’t have to worry about your clothes, about your big belly or about your gray beard, I mean… no, wait I’m not saying that you are just a sloppy, fat, old man, I… I… What the fork, Andrea, shut up!
That been said, established that I am a good guy, I would be very happy if you could bring me these nice games:
1) Divinity: Original SIn 5
2) X-Com 9
3) Stoneshard (!)
And if you still have some doubts about my behavior, you are allowed to look into my heart.
What you say? I’m a lawyer so I don’t have a heart. You’re right, old boy, you are right….
Love and hugs to the reindeer!
ARCHONS OF DOOM – 1st December
Ok, you know those old good games where you played the role of the bold good hero trying to defeat the evil lurking into the dept of a dungeon? Well, forget it!
Here you ARE the Evil, a powerful and ruthless being that seeks to conquer the entire Universe! Your plan is simple, you just have to summon a bunch of creatures that will serve you until death (and sometimes beyond it, as well…), but the problem is that you aren’t the only Archon of Doom! Who will win?
Among its features:
- 42 spells to find and unlock.
- Turn based gameplay that supports matches against up to three other Archons simultaneously.
- 18 levels to conquer, from the green lands of Ambion to the Desert of Sandstone, with icey Underworlds to discover.
- Fog of war – uncover the map as you go.
- Hidden movement – you do not know what your enemies are, or where, until you encounter them!
Very soon on Steam!
WARTALES – 1st December (E.A.)
Well, this is one of the most anticipated games of the year, plain and simple.
And let me say that I’d be the happiest man in the world if this was the full release of the game, but, unfortunately, this is only an E.A. release. Nevertheless, this can be the right occasion to try the game and fully understand if the hype is well deserved (to be honest, I’ve no doubts about that).
Anyway, what is exactly Wartales? Well, it can be defined as a huge open-world RPG that gives the player total freedom about his choices and decisions. You are the leader of a mercenary group and in their company you will explore an immense land, fight ruthless battles, collect bounties and adventure – why not! – into the tomb of the ancients.
I haven’t tried it yet, but the description reminds me one of the best games of the decade, Battle Brothers, and this not a bad thing at all!
On Steam very soon.
SONUCIDO: THE MAGE – 2nd December
I am personally convinced that every single solo-dev game deserves respect.
So even if the art style of this game may seem not so, how to say, “impressive” this could be the next Legend of Grimrock, who knows? Well, ok maybe I have gone too far… but the least I can do is to give this game a chance.
SONUCIDO is a classic grid-based, turn-based Dungeon Crawler RPG in the vein of Dungeon Master (a tear), where we must look for a Mage in the depth of a dungeon. A turn-based combat system where we must exploit the enemy’s weakness, making choices that will influence our path.
- Turn-Based Combat: Easy to learn but hard to master. No battle-dancing!
- Slay Enemies: Defeat a variety of enemies with different weaknesses and strengths.
- Replayability: Discover multiple endings and different paths through the depths of Sonucido.
- Exploration: Look around and find potions, optional side-quests, secrets and more.
- Bold Game Design: No inventory management, no novel-length text walls, no 30 minute tutorial.
On Steam at the beginning of the month.
MECHAJAMMER – 2nd December
Do I really need to explain to you what is Mechajammer?
Not so long time ago I tried a demo of the game and after that I had the honor to interview the developers about their project.
Let’s just say that if you are a fan of Jena Plissken and his “Escape From New York” this game is a must. At its core, Mechajammer is a fascinating fast-paced turn-based RPG set in a dystopian cyberpunk world. Try to think at an isometric version of Deus Ex on which the players will always have the chance to freely choose how to face the different tactical situations. The choice of a brutal or a stealth approach is all up to you.
Luckily soon on Steam!
THE CAPTAIN – 3rd December
A point-and-click adventure where players, in the shoes of an Intergalactic Captain must explore the galaxy and take on quests and hard decisions which will alter events and the end of the game. In The Captain, turn-based mechanics happens during spaceship combats or at least we think so…We will learn more soon. On Steam
WOLFSTRIDE – 7th December
Get wrecked in this immature grown-up RPG about a trio of troublemakers stumbling their way through a giant mecha tournament. Repair and upgrade the team’s hand-me-down rig, pick up odd jobs to pay the bills, and battle the best, all while running from the regrettable choices of the past. On Steam
INDIES’ LIES – 21st December
Already available on android system, Indies’ Lies is roguelike / card-battler with a nice graphic, a smooth deck building progression and an engaging exploration phase. The motto of the game is “Fun for Beginners, Depth for the Experienced“, so this means that there is a chance also for me…
Obviously, the levels and their whole content are randomly generated. Besides, the game can boast a rich and varied talent system, an innovative “lieutenant system“, a rune system (whatever it is!), combined with hundreds of cards, allowing players to experience a different experience each time they enter the level.
OLD SALT – 24th December
A Naval Strategy With No Reinforcements On The Way. Command a Custom Fleet with faction abilities in Multiplayer matches or Faction Campaigns.
Players begin the game as one of six factions with control of three islands, a fleet of ships, and a handful of gold.
A player obtains victory over the other players by controlling 6 islands or being the last ship sailing. There are many routes to that victory but the journey will without a doubt involve sailing your ships, firing cannons, seizing islands, and using faction abilities.
A must for any tabletop games fan! On Steam near Christmas.
SEA WOLF: TACTICS – 27th December
A fierce fight against the Empire, trying to reconquer what is yours even if you are outnumbered…
Well, believe it or not, this isn’t the incipit of a new Star Wars chapter, but the story of a completely different game. Set in medieval world, Sea Wolf tell the story of a small group of vikings on their mission to defend their village, seeking, at the same time, “fortune and glory” (maybe I’m confusing them with Indiana Jones…).
Anyway, let’s see what are its key features:
- Drive Back the Empire: The empire has conquered and expanded for centuries – now they are at your doorstep and threaten your way of life. Although they vastly outnumber you, use cunning tactics to destabilize their hold of territories, incite rebellion and disable their empire.
- Explore Midgard: Accomplish quests that will have you exploring every corner of Midgard, capturing empire strongholds, completing trading missions, and hunting down dangerous bounties.
- Customize and Train: Build your raiding party up using new warriors you encounter on your journey and level them up. Carefully choose abilities from each classes’ diverse skill tree to create warriors that can adapt to any situation.
- Honor the Gods: Provide the Gods some amusement by willingly accepting additional burdens in battle and they will reward you with their favor. Burdens change the rules of combat in challenging ways that will force you to adopt new strategies.
- Raid or Trade: Coexist peacefully with neighboring villages and they will offer you lucrative but dangerous trading contracts or chose to raid them and steal their resources for yourself.
- Tactics Modernized: Sea Wolf: Tactics was created from a love of classic tactics games. Sea Wolf: Tactics aims to honor those iconic titles by adding new systems and streamlining old ones. Combat is responsive and quick. Battles are smaller scale to limit action-less turns but Battle Campaigns challenge you to survive multiple battles in a row.
Personally I’m rather curious and you? On Steam, as usual.
CLASH OF COMMAND: CAMPAIGN OF 1863 – 31st December
As usual, whenever I have to talk about a wargame I prefer to leave the word to developers:
“Clash of Command is a Team vs Team WeGo Tactical Strategy game. The WeGo system is a truly realistic combat simulation system: All players plan and issue orders to their units at the same time. Orders are then processed simultaneously and the resulting after action reports are then sent to players for review and planning for the next turn. Using our custom game engine; you will strategically plan orders for some of histories most famous units, and then watch as your carefully laid plans are laid to waste by the chaos of war“.
At the end of the year on Steam.
That’s all, folks! Let us know what you think about the December 2021 Turn-Based RPGs and Strategy Games releases in the comments.