Turn-based Strategy game, Kaiju Wars, starring giant Kaiju Monsters is almost ready to invade Steam on the 28th of April. Inspired by games like Into the Breach, players must guide armies against these giant monster. During MIX 10th Anniversary Showcase devs published a new trailer and info regarding the game. We played an early version of the game, while below you can find the press news.
Foolish Mortals have unleashed a monster trailer as a part of the MIX 10th anniversary showcase, announcing that Kaiju Wars will launch on Steam, April 28th, 2022. The love letter to classic kaiju cinema is a mix of turn-based genre classics, with a one-against-many twist, where players hopelessly command an army against an impending monster attack.
“Kaiju Wars places players in an uncomfortable position of stopping what feels like the inevitable. In classic kaiju style, the monsters attacking Floatio city are nearly unstoppable.” Shared Michael Long, CEO of Foolish Mortals “You have the technology to predict the kaiju’s next step, but even that can lead to overthinking and your undoing. We hope Kaiju Wars offers a truly fresh experience to the turn-based genre, while being fondly reminiscent of the kaiju genre the team appreciates dearly.”
The previously announced Kaiju Wars map contest will wrap later this week, with winners being announced on Discord and Twitter. The Kaiju Wars demo and map editor are still live on Steam prior to launch for players who want to get a taste for setting up their kaiju defenses.
About Kaiju Wars
Command the army!
- We need more time! – Play as the mayor of Floatio city, tasked with holding off the overwhelming strength of a kaiju attack. Park tanks and jets in the monster’s path to slow it down (don’t worry, we have a good insurance policy).
- Construct buildings! – Build sacrificial army bases and airfields to distract the kaiju and line the city streets with fodder.
- Deploy experimental weapons! – Conventional weapons aren’t enough; deploy experimental weapons such as freeze rays and transforming mechas to keep the kaiju at bay.
- Our chief scientist is working on an anti-monster serum, but it’s not ready yet! Be prepared to evacuate the laboratory using transport trucks, boats, or planes when the kaiju get too close.
Fight the KAIJU!
- Five unique kaiju – Each specializing in different types of destruction.
- They mutate! – Tremble in fear as each kaiju grows stronger and gains devastating abilities through mid-level mutations.
- Unstoppable! – Kaiju can’t be killed, but can only be slowed down and forced to fall back… for now. Pepper them with ammunition, if you can.
- Predictable! – They move towards the nearest building, and them scientists have mathed the exact odds they step on each tile!
- Uncover the mystery – Strange things are happening: frequent volcanic eruptions, tsunamis and earthquakes. Find out why over the course of an 8+ hour story-based campaign.
- Embark on a Campaign! – Play missions from all over the world as you progress through the globe-trotting fight against kaiju. Test your wits in tactical puzzles, command dozens of units in large-scale scenarios, and fend off repeated attacks while developing your city economically in city defense missions.
- Upgrade your ACES – Veteran ACE units accompany you throughout your campaign. Spend medals to upgrade and customize your top fighters.
- Customize your Project Deck – Unlock powerful Project cards, customize your deck, and bring your best strategy to compete on the online leaderboard!
About the developer
Foolish Mortals is a small independent game studio based in a faraway land called Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. Their first project was Radio General, a successful strategy simulation where you interact with your units over the radio using speech recognition.