So, you’re a geek who loves to play Minecraft and Dungeons & Dragons, and on top of that, you’re crazy about comics. If before you would have been considered a bore, today some people who fall into this category are the rulers of the world. Take, for example, Mark Zuckerberg, co-owner of Facebook and other Meta-platform solutions, or Bill Gates, who created the software giant Microsoft.
Yes, engaging in a hobby beyond the norm is not an anomaly. It’s the willingness to think outside the box that often pays significant dividends in the future. Geek addictions are so strong that it’s impossible to forget them even while traveling.
If you’re a geek heading to Hawaii, you’re in luck. Local gaming opportunities, related events, pop tours, and multiple comic book shops won’t let you get bored for a minute. Below, explore the most popular geek culture options available in Hawaii.
Hawaii Geek Meet
Welcome to the world of comics, technology, toys, games, sci-fi movies, and everything else your computerized soul desires! Held annually in the summer, this event brings together geeks of all ages. Adults show off their wares while children enjoy life-size Jenga or build unique structures in specialized Lego playgrounds. Not to mention other entertaining activities like paper airplane contests or watching cosplays in action.
One of the most significant gaming culture events allows you to show your intellectual qualities and at the same time, learn something new from the world of computers and technology. So, whether you are a coder, gadget lover, designer, SEO specialist, or even an artist, you will have a great time surrounded by hobby-addicted people!
If you are passionate about anime, comics, and Japanese culture in general, set off to this 3-day festival. We recommend considering the available local car rental options for more convenient transportation to the venue.
The convention center offers extensive activities for geeks. Tabletop gamers will be happy to spend time playing Monopoly, chess, or Rummikub. At the same time, multiple online championships and tournaments won’t let console fans get bored. And if you’re a cosplayer, get involved in a variety of related workshops taking place within the festival. Kawaii Kon is sure to give you a competitive edge.
Comic Con Honolulu
This grand event has a lot in common with the previous festival but still focuses on different things – these are various genres of media, including science fiction. Plus, its guests are often famous personalities. Last year, it was some of the heroes from Serenity, and Edward James Olmos – a top-class actor and producer.
As the home of the local geek community, Comic Con Honolulu offers a variety of board and video game tournaments. The event takes place every year at the Hawaii Convention Center and invites you to a fun-filled adventure among passionate and inspired individuals.
Popular geek tours
Want to explore pop culture in Hawaii? We recommend that you take at least one tour highlighting local cinematic or historical heritage. Here are the greatest options available on the islands.
- Hollywood Movie Sites. Cruise through landscapes where the stories of 50 First Dates, Jumanji, Jurassic World, and Magnum P.I. were filmed. These locations will give you an unforgettable immersive experience and will make you remember some shots from famous movies. Also, you will visit Kaneohe Bay, which appeared in Pirates of the Caribbean, and a real WWII bunker hidden deep underground.
- Jurassic Park Tour. You and your kids will get nostalgic while exploring Kualoa Ranch, which was the filming location for Jurassic Park. A professional guide will tell you several previously unknown facts. At the same time, you will enjoy driving between multiple dinosaur cages and familiar landscapes in an open-top car.
- Pearl Harbor and Honolulu City Adventure. The USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor immerses you in the important events that took place at the beginning of WWII. A comfortable van will take you to your destination and introduce you to other significant Honolulu highlights within a 4-hour tour.
Geek souvenir shops
Can’t imagine your life without comics and various interesting geeky things? No worries! While on vacation, visit Hawaiian comic book shops such as Maui Comics & Collectibles (10 N Market St, Wailuku, HI 96793, United States) or Other Realms (1130 N Nimitz Hwy C-140, Honolulu, HI 96817, United States). In addition, they offer a large selection of tabletop games and even host regular nightly competitions. Therefore, you can find out more details on the spot and take part if you wish. However, these are not all the geek-friendly stores available in Hawaii. The most popular shops include:
- The Armchair Adventurer (Dole Cannery, 650 Iwilei Rd #160, Honolulu, HI 96817, United States) – perfect choice of board and role-playing games, miniatures, and hobby sets
- Dragon’s Lair (95-1840 Meheula Pkwy E-10, Mililani, HI 96789, United States) – comic book shop
- MiniQ Anime Shop (98-1005 Moanalua Rd Suite 114, Aiea, HI 96701, United States) – Anime store with a vast assortment of action figures, toys, and collectibles
So, Hawaii is a great place for geeks. With tons of games, comic shops, tours, and specialty events, it offers a fun time for you to enjoy. The only missing piece in the puzzle is a convenient transportation method, and Hawaii car rental under 25 could be a top-notch option. Yes, young driver car rental makes it possible for even inexperienced motorists to get behind the wheel and explore the road ahead. You can find Kona Airport car rentals in advance and thereby guarantee the desired vehicle for the specified date. Bon Voyage!