Why do most students prefer playing video games in college?
Playing video games in college may seem childish but it’s actually one of the best ways to enjoy your free time. Like other leisure activities, you should expect to spend some money to acquire a video game console. However, this is a one-time purchase unless your device breaks due to carelessness or other technical issues. I have used my PS3 controller over the past four years and it is still in a very good state. So, I always encourage students to buy such devices since they last for a long time.
Also, investing in video game devices is cheaper than other leisure activities like skating, camping, touring new places, and road trips. You don’t need to travel or spend a lot of time whenever you feel like taking a break from books. What’s more, one device can serve more than one person. So, you can decide to share the cost of purchasing video game devices with your friends, although this might not be a good idea since you’ll likely have different preferences and free time, making it difficult to plan when and where to place or use your equipment.
The final reason to choose gaming over activities like traveling and camping is the fact that you can easily access or download mobile games on your Android phone, laptop, tablet, or PC; most of these games are absolutely free.
Pros of playing video games: Why is gaming important for college students?
Now that we have understood why online gaming is a popular and one of the recommended leisure activities for college students, let’s analyze some benefits of playing video games:
- Video games improve critical thinking and decision-making abilities. Video games involve critical thinking and making tough decisions; you can only beat your competitor if you make strategic moves. So, whether you play a solo game or one involving several players, your critical thinking ability will likely improve after several games. It even gets better with more practice and consistency. However, you should be cautious enough to avoid addiction.
- Improves concentration. Anyone who has ever interacted with a kid exposed to computer games will attest that indeed, the activities are programmed in a way that encourages active participation. For example, most commands are issued in English, which requires active listening; this is an important aspect that promotes effective learning. Many people think playing video games is just a hobby but it’s actually one of the productive ways to spend your free time as you improve your cognitive abilities and hand-to-eye coordination. Exposing elementary students to simple computer games can also enhance their multi-tasking ability. The good thing about most of these games is that they require attention to detail, thus capable of improving your concentration span.
- Helps you socialize and improve your interpersonal skills. Without a doubt, college life presents students with an excellent opportunity to make friends and bonds that last over years even after school; gaming is one of the activities that create a perfect environment for understanding your schoolmates and creating lasting friendships. It is not just a matter of having fun but also enhancing your interpersonal skills. If you find it challenging to socialize and build friendships in school, joining a group of gamers can help you meet new people, battle loneliness, and widen your social cycle.
- Gaming is a good indoor activity for all seasons. Sometimes the weather may be cold, wet, and gross to the extent that nobody feels like stepping outside, let alone getting out of their blankets. That’s normal, especially over the weekend and during the winter season. Such conditions can limit you from engaging in outdoor activities. But the good news is that you can still play video games to escape the bad weather. Gaming was a great indoor activity during the Coronavirus lockdown period and it still remains a good form of relaxation.
- Improves problem-solving skills. Playing video games in college can improve your problem-solving skills and creativity. Most video games require players to search, compare, and plan how to execute an idea or take a particular action to improve their scores. In addition, you must understand the rules of the game, which influences your decision-making skills. Some games like 3D Dot Game Heroes require you to select and even modify a character’s personality, allowing you to evaluate and express your thoughts. These activities play an essential role in enhancing creativity, technical, and problem-solving skills.
While playing video games will likely improve your intellectual ability, it can lead to time wastage if you don’t prioritize your tasks. However, you can easily manage your time by seeking academic writing help for your papers. A professional company like online essay writing service CustomWritings has expert writers who can help you write your essays whenever you approach them with a “write my paper” request. So, you don’t have to worry about failing to finish your homework on time.
Cons of playing video games in college: Reasons to regulate gaming
- Excessive gaming can lead to addiction. Critics of online gaming stress that kids playing video games are more likely to develop addiction and mental health issues. Without a doubt, they derive instant gratification. Some college students compete in gaming tournaments to make money. As a result, they are encouraged to play every day. You might even be surprised to find someone playing when they have a pile of work or other important things to do; this behavior can have adverse implications on one’s education and productivity.
- Unregulated video gaming can lead to poor concentration. Another adverse effect of unregulated gaming is poor concentration. Spending too much time playing video games can affect your ability to stay attentive in class and focus on school work. However, they have numerous benefits that can outdo the disadvantages when played in moderation, although you should have self-discipline and determination. You should be aware of the positive and negative effects of gaming before deciding whether you want to be an active gamer. If you notice any of these signs, just know it’s high time to stop overindulging yourself and focus on other productive leisure activities. Nonetheless, you can still moderate your pattern or seek help from your peer counselors, parents, siblings, or teachers.
Is playing video games good for your well-being?
In this article, we have analyzed the pros and cons of playing video games as well as we have explained how video games can be educational. Besides improving individuals’ logic, problem-solving skills, and cognitive abilities, students who participate in video and online games either alone or in groups gradually portray greater multitasking and faster decision-making abilities. In spite of these benefits, it’s important to avoid too much exposure to online games because of their numerous health effects, especially when someone becomes addicted.