Red Hook Studios releases “Redemption Road” update for Darkest Dungeon II, the final Early Access update before its full release on May 8th on EPIC and Steam. This update revamps the map traversal systems of the game, introducing various hazards that can damage the stagecoach’s armor and wheels tokens, adding strategic depth and emphasizing the importance of scouting ahead and choosing routes carefully. Additionally, 10 pets have been added to the game, each with unique expedition-defining effects.
Other changes include balance adjustments, quality-of-life improvements, and community-requested features like reconfiguring the Valley and redesigning loathing. Darkest Dungeon II features a dozen playable heroes, each with their own five-chapter backstory, five regions, five end bosses, and a metagame hub called “The Altar of Hope” with persistent upgrades.
Since its Early Access release on the Epic Games Store in October 2021, Darkest Dungeon II has seen regular major content and feature updates. The game expands on the critically acclaimed original with striking 3D visuals and a streamlined run-based road trip structure. Fans of the game can view the comprehensive patch notes on the official website.
Below an overview of the game and the Early Access Trailer
About Darkest Dungeon II
Darkest Dungeon II is a rogue-like turn-based road trip of the damned. Form a party, equip your stagecoach, and set off across the decaying landscape on a last gasp quest to avert the apocalypse. The greatest dangers you face, however, may come from within…
- Roguelike Runs, Each With Its Own Emerging Story: Each expedition lasts from 30 minutes to several hours. Even an untimely end will arm you with resources that can be spent to improve your next journey.
- Unforgettable Heroes: Uncover and experience the interactive tragic origin stories of each hero. Unlock the heroes’ full potential via new skills, specializations, trinkets, and more.
- The Altar of Hope: Engage with a massive system of upgrades and boons at this metagame hub. Craft your strategies and formulate your assaults onto the five Mountains.
- The Affinity System: As travels progress, heroes bond with each other or develop animosity, leading to desperately needed combat synergies or journey-ending dysfunction. Manage their stress and interaction to keep the team together until the bitter end.
- Nightmarish Environs: From the burning Sprawl to the diseased Foetor, the long road to the Mountain will challenge your strategies and your endurance. Explore five distinct regions, each with their own unique creatures and challenges.