What’s the game exactly? Imagine turn-based Mortal Kombat. Throw in alien robots, undead barbarians, electric guitars and giant Glamourzons. Add a rocking 1980’s synth soundtrack and you’ve got Swords and Sandals Immortals!
In-Game Background Story/Lore
For a decade we wondered what happened to the Starbound Gladiator at the end of Swords and Sandals III … now all answers are revealed as the robotic Automatons return to Brandor with new space-age technology – chased by an evil former legendary gladiator, now corrupted by an interstellar demon. The Starbound Gladiator’s mission? To destroy the world in just 300 days time, unless someone can stop him in the arena.
Embark upon a massive new single-player campaign in the form of Swords and Sandals VI, where you shall journey across the vast continent in search of fabled Arena Champions to defeat. Do battle in the scorching heat of the T’Kash desert, in the lonely abyssal caverns of the Forbidden Depths and in the great palaces of Phaetor itself.
It’s Swords and Sandals as you’ve never seen it. Brutal turn-based combat where gladiators can lose limbs, wield guitars and yell so loudly their foe’s heads will fall off. This is the most fun you’ll ever have in the arena, and it all starts here.
The gameplay loop is quite simple. Create a gladiator, arm them with a variety of weapons and armour, then send them off into the arena to fight other gladiators. Win gold, gain experience, level up.
Do this enough and the greater world will open up, powerful new champions to face, dungeons to explore, towns to visit. And of course, a world to save.
- Multiplayer mode! At last, battle player controlled gladiators from all over the world in online turn-based combat!
- Swords and Sandals VI : Continue the story from where S&S III left off as the Automatons return to Brandor with new challenges for our gladiators!
- A single player adventure across Brandor featuring over 40 all new Arena Champions ( and some returning fan favourites )
- Limb severing and decapitations! Sever arms and legs and keep on fighting as your gladiator finds the strength to endure
- Create a gladiator your way. Customize everything from height and weight to facial features and hometown, the choice is yours. Will you be a powerful undead mandolin-wielding barbarian? A Sagan Blob archmage with the power to regenerate lost limbs?
- Many new classes to choose, skills and talents to learn. Rain molten death from the skies, play guitar solos that shake the ground!
- Dungeon Crawl through fast paced mini-dungeons on your journey, fighting powerful Champions for great rewards
- Craft and wield powerful weapons. Autocannons that shoot lightning, hand axes that drip poison or guitars that glow with fire!
- Defeat your enemy using all new combat skills. Throw your weapons, even throw discarded healing potions. Whatever it takes to win!
- An all new game engine for the first time in years! New special FX, particles, animations and music, created from the ground up with the Godot Engine.
About the Developer
Oliver Joyce from Whiskeybarrel Studios, is a solo developer who has been working on the Swords and Sandals series since 2006 – it began life as a series of Flash games. The games were hugely popular with kids who grew up in that era, played covertly in school classrooms or on the family computer.
Thanks to the enthusiasm of these kids all around the world who are now grown up, the series lives on via platforms like Steam and the app Stores. There has been many sequels, spinoffs and sequels along the way. In 2013 he set up Whiskeybarrel Studios , and slowly game by game, he was able to quit his job and make the games full-time.
So, He really feels he’s living the dream thanks to this strange little game series – and there’s nothing in the world He’d rather do.
Release date & Platforms
Swords and Sandals Immortals Steam Early Access launch is May 27, 2022. Coming to iOS and Android late 2022.