List updated to 10/11/2019
Are you looking for games like Darkest Dungeon? When you type on your search engine “games like Darkest Dungeon” or “Darkest Dungeon similar games” you only get generic results and often you come across lists that contain games that have nothing in common with the famous Red Hook Studios title?
So you’ve come to the right place this time.
Here you will find games that are inspired by Darkest Dungeon and which reproduce at least some of its mechanics. I will not talk about Darkest Dungeon because if you’re looking for similar games it means that you know the game very well and you do not need to know anything else. But before we start let’s see the features I have considered for this list:
- Management of party members
- Dungeons exploration
- High level of challenge
- Headquarter management
- Turn-based battles
- High replay value
In this list that I will update often, each game has some of these features. As always for each game, you will find a video trailer and link to the steam page.
During the adventure we will have to put together a handful of soldiers, even improvised to free Warsaw. Each soldier will have his own class and his own development of characteristics and abilities. The management phase will also be of great importance, in fact, everything is focused around the management of the resistance shelter. You’ll find Warsaw on Humble Store also.
Mad Crown is a roguelike RPG set in a post-apocalyptic dieselpunk world. As an explorer, you are in search of the legendary crown. Make use of limited resources and meticulous tactics to battle an eerie enemy through the procedurally generated dungeons of a mutated world.
In MISTOVER we find many distinctive elements of Dakerst Dungeon, starting from the exploration of the dungeons, up to the management of the party (dealing with internal conflicts between ‘satisfaction’ and ‘greed) with over 40 hours of gameplay.
Vambrace: Cold Soul
Promising dark story-driven roguelike RPG inspired by tabletops, Faster Than Light and Darkest Dungeon. The King of Shades has cursed the great city of Icenaire. Nowcast under a permanent blight of frost fall, its former residents have returned from the dead as mad Wraiths. Humble Bundle link
- Embark on an epic fantasy-adventure spanning 7 intriguing chapters.
- Complete sub-quests to unlock up to 26 new, thematic character skins.
- Assemble your party from 5 races and 10 unique classes of recruits.
- Craft items and armor from precious materials gathered on your trips.
- Make crucial decisions where one wrong turn can seal your party’s fate.
- Prepare well or condemn your comrades to permanent death.
- Find codex pages to expand upon Ethera’s history and mythical lore
A game that is inspired by the settings of Castlevania and Dark Souls with turn-based battles in a Final Fantasy style. We will have to explore dungeons by choosing from 12 heroes, each with their own story and personality.
Between a fight and the other, we can return to the old church to rest, develop hero skills, equip new weapons and armor and accept new quests. Sin Slayers is currently under development at Goonswarm, and its release is scheduled for 2018. Humble Bundle store
- Sin Slayers is a pixel-art turn-based strategy about sins and sinners.
- 7 story act about each one of the sins.
- Randomly generated locations for each story act.
- 12 playable characters and 100+ pixel-art stylized monsters.
Iratus Lord of the Dead
Perhaps the game most inspired by Darkest Dungeon, I would almost say a tribute to the title of Red Hook Studios. Iratus Lord of The Dead will put us in the role of the villain Iratus, and we must try to escape from the prison where IRATUS has been held for many years. We will have to explore dungeons, fight enemies in turn-based battles where our soldiers will be lined up one after another just like in Darkest Dungeon. The management component is also present, in fact, we will have to develop our underground lair by making improvements that will allow us access to increasingly powerful weapons and soldiers.
- Develop and improve your belowground lair with necromantic powers.
- Craft undead minions with the body parts of dead enemies.
- Advanced fighting system: Know your enemies’ strong points and weak spots to achieve victory.
- Turn-based battle system with upward of 50 original minion’s talents.
- Intelligent enemy AI, challenging even experienced RPG-strategists.
- Three types of necromancer talents for gameplay: alchemy, magic talents, or tactical skills.
- Irreversible consequences. Classic roguelike features including character permadeath.
- Detailed stylized 2D graphics in the spirit of dark fantasy.
- Detailed skeletal animations.
Deep Sky Derelicts
It is a turn-based roguelike strategy RPG where we will find ourselves exploring shipwrecks in search of glory and fortune. As in Darkest Dungeon, there is the management component, which corresponds to the central station, where we can accept new missions, check our party and buy items.
Once we have accepted a new mission, we will find ourselves exploring wrecks full of traps and enemies, the more we will push ourselves away and the greater the rewards will be. The fights take place in turns with some elements taken from card games. Deep Sky Derelicts is developed by Snowhound and is already available as released on 26 Sep 2018. Humble Bundle store
- A fresh take on turn-based combat with cards
- Refined sci-fi comic book look & feel
- Endless customization options for characters and scavenging teams
- High replay value thanks to a procedural generation of content
- A story of the human society divided within a dystopian universe
- Two game modes: story and arena
Dead in Vinland
Dead in Vinland, is a turn-based strategy/survival RPG developed by CCCP. In the game, we find many elements like Darkest Dungeon, such as the management of the physical and mental conditions of our men and women, the exploration phase, the continuous development of our shelter with various upgrades, and the turn-based combat phase.
Dead in Vinland is already available and you can find it on Humble Bundle Store.
- A deep survival management simulation
- Challenging campaign
- Build your camp
- Manage a community
- Explore the island
- Live your own adventure
- Animosity and tribute system
- Full RPG system:
- Turn-based tactical combat
- HUGE content
Vagrus- The Riven Realms
Under development by Lost Pilgrim studio, Vagrus the Riven Realms is a promising turn-based strategy RPG where we are a leader of a caravan who makes a living on a strange and dangerous dark fantasy world by leading a traveling company on all kinds of ventures. In the game there is the exploration phase (and from some screens, the map looks amazing) where we will find points of interest, we will be in contact with other factions and other characters.
Another interesting aspect is the management of the caravan, where we can improve our soldiers, manage stocks, accept missions. The fights are turn-based in Final Fantasy style. For more information read my Vagrus the Riven Realms overview.
Vagrus – The Riven Realms will be released sometimes in 2019, in the meanwhile you can give a look to its official website.
- Explore a dark continent
- Experience a branching narrative
- Engage in turn-based combat
- Manage your crew
- Encounter a colorful cast of characters
Legend of Keepers: Career of a Dungeon Master
From the creators of Robothorium and Dungeon Rushers comes another interesting turn-based strategy game where you will impersonate a Dungeon Master who will have to take care of defending treasures from hero raids. Currently in development, without a release date yet. To learn more give a look at the official website.
- Join the Dungeons Company and try to climb the ladder
- Try to stop heroes and protect the treasures of the company
- Hire monsters, manage your employees and your stock of traps
- Deal with employees strikes and other fun events
Game still in development, recalls the exploits of some survivors of an atomic disaster. As the leader of a merciless band of post-apocalyptic raiders, build and manage your organization while pillaging, kidnapping, and battling mercenaries tasked with stopping your rampage. The wasteland doesn’t need another hero.
If you know a game similar to Darkest Dungeon please let me know by writing in the comments below or by twitter. In the meantime, take a look at my other lists.