Are you looking for games like Darkest Dungeon? When you type on your search engine “games like Darkest Dungeon” or “Darkest Dungeon similar games” you only get generic results and often you come across lists that contain games that have nothing in common with the famous Red Hook Studios title?
So you’ve come to the right place this time.
Here you will find games that are inspired by Darkest Dungeon and which reproduce at least some of its mechanics. I will not talk about Darkest Dungeon because if you’re looking for similar games it means that you know the game very well and you do not need to know anything else. But before we start let’s see the features I have considered for this list:
- Management of party members
- Dungeons exploration
- High level of challenge
- Headquarter management
- Turn-based battles
- High replay value
In this list that I will update often, each game has some of these features. As always for each game, you will find a video trailer and link to the steam page and if available a link to G2a store, where you can find games at a better price.
A game that is inspired by the settings of Castlevania and Dark Souls with turn-based battles in a Final Fantasy style. We will have to explore dungeons by choosing from 12 heroes, each with their own story and personality.
Between a fight and the other, we can return to the old church to rest, develop hero skills, equip new weapons and armor and accept new quests. Sin Slayers is currently under development at Goonswarm, and its release is scheduled for 2018.
- Sin Slayers is a pixel-art turn-based strategy about sins and sinners.
- 7 story act about each one of the sins.
- Randomly generated locations for each story act.
- 12 playable characters and 100+ pixel-art stylized monsters.
Iratus Lord of the Dead
Perhaps the game most inspired by Darkest Dungeon, I would almost say a tribute to the title of Red Hook Studios. Iratus Lord of The Dead will put us in the role of the villain Iratus, and we must try to escape from the prison where IRATUS has been held for many years. We will have to explore dungeons, fight enemies in turn-based battles where our soldiers will be lined up one after another just like in Darkest Dungeon. The management component is also present, in fact, we will have to develop our underground lair by making improvements that will allow us access to increasingly powerful weapons and soldiers.
Iratus Lord of the Dead is currently under development at Unfrozen studios and its release which was initially scheduled for October 2018 has been moved to February 14, 2019.
- Develop and improve your belowground lair with necromantic powers.
- Craft undead minions with the body parts of dead enemies.
- Advanced fighting system: Know your enemies’ strong points and weak spots to achieve victory.
- Turn-based battle system with upward of 50 original minion’s talents.
- Intelligent enemy AI, challenging even experienced RPG-strategists.
- Three types of necromancer talents for gameplay: alchemy, magic talents, or tactical skills.
- Irreversible consequences. Classic roguelike features including character permadeath.
- Detailed stylized 2D graphics in the spirit of dark fantasy.
- Detailed skeletal animations.
Deep Sky Derelicts
It is a turn-based roguelike strategy RPG where we will find ourselves exploring shipwrecks in search of glory and fortune. As in Darkest Dungeon, there is the management component, which corresponds to the central station, where we can accept new missions, check our party and buy items.
Once we have accepted a new mission, we will find ourselves exploring wrecks full of traps and enemies, the more we will push ourselves away and the greater the rewards will be. The fights take place in turns with some elements taken from card games. Deep Sky Derelicts is developed by Snowhound and is already available as released on 26 Sep 2018. You will find Deep Sky Derelicts on G2a also.
- A fresh take on turn-based combat with cards
- Refined sci-fi comic book look & feel
- Endless customization options for characters and scavenging teams
- High replay value thanks to a procedural generation of content
- A story of the human society divided within a dystopian universe
- Two game modes: story and arena
Vagrus- The Riven Realms
Under development by Lost Pilgrim studio, Vagrus the Riven Realms is a promising turn-based strategy RPG where we are a leader of a caravan who makes a living on a strange and dangerous dark fantasy world by leading a traveling company on all kinds of ventures. In the game there is the exploration phase (and from some screens, the map looks amazing) where we will find points of interest, we will be in contact with other factions and other characters.
Another interesting aspect is the management of the caravan, where we can improve our soldiers, manage stocks, accept missions. The fights are turn-based in Final Fantasy style. For more information read my Vagrus the Riven Realms overview.
Vagrus – The Riven Realms will be released sometimes in 2019, in the meanwhile you can give a look to its official website.
- Explore a dark continent
- Experience a branching narrative
- Engage in turn-based combat
- Manage your crew
- Encounter a colorful cast of characters
Dead in Vinland
Dead in Vinland, is a turn-based strategy/survival RPG developed by CCCP. In the game, we find many elements like Darkest Dungeon, such as the management of the physical and mental conditions of our men and women, the exploration phase, the continuous development of our shelter with various upgrades, and the turn-based combat phase.
Dead in Vinland is already available and you can take it for a cheaper price on g2a.
- A deep survival management simulation
- Challenging campaign
- Build your camp
- Manage a community
- Explore the island
- Live your own adventure
- Animosity and tribute system
- Full RPG system:
- Turn-based tactical combat
- HUGE content
If you know a game similar to Darkest Dungeon please let me know by writing in the comments below or contacting me via twitter. In the meantime, take a look at my other lists.