Age of Wonders 4 developed by Triumph Studios and published by Paradox Interactive, is one of the most anticipated strategy games of 2023. The game is expected to be released on the 2nd of May, 2023 on PC via Steam and Epic Games Store, Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X/S.
There isn’t much time to wait, but in the meantime, the developers are sharing a ton of details about the new mechanics that will be featured in the fantasy strategy game through their development diary and video tutorials.
Today, we will focus on the new invasion system called the Siege System. Simply put, this system manages the mechanics of besieging and defending a city.
In Age of Wonders 4, the importance of cities in an empire’s economy and military power is significant. Losing a city, especially the capital, could result in the loss or win of the game. Game developers have introduced the Siege system to address the issue of unprotected cities and battles becoming repetitive.
The Siege System during defenses
The Siege system gives defenders time to respond and adds more variety to city battles. Instead of using the Garrison system, which led to auto-resolving battles, the Siege system allows defenders to invest in structures that delay attackers and affect the battle map. Attackers must lay siege to the cities for multiple turns in the world map and invest in Siege Projects to bring siege engines to the battle or otherwise counter some of the city defenses before they can launch a final decisive battle.
Several categories of defense structures will be represented in the Siege battle. Wall Defense Structures contribute the most to Fortification Health, and at least one wall must be built in a city to add the requirement for attackers to siege it. Tower Defense Structures spawn units during combat alongside the walls with incredible range and automatically fire upon attacking units.
Battlement Defense Structures create special obstacles on the positions just behind the wall that benefit the Defender in some way. Support Defense Structures add special modifiers to the combat, often in the form of Combat Enchantments. All defensive structures add Fortification Health, which determines the rough amount of time attackers will need to spend sieging the city before they can launch their attack.
The Siege system not only adds depth and strategy to city battles but also makes scouting enemy cities essential. Players can even spot the kind of walls an enemy city has by looking at the city model, providing valuable information to make informed decisions.
Time to Attack
Players can initiate a siege by attacking a hostile walled city with at least one hero leading the siege. A prompt will appear with an estimated time of turns until the siege is completed. During a siege, players can select Siege Projects, which are actions that can be taken to destroy defenses, speed up the siege, or steal population from the besieged city.
These projects can come at a cost and can be obtained through empire skills, tomes, or Ancient Wonders. Reserve armies can also be used to scout or pillage province improvements, leaving the defender with opportunities for counter-attacks. Defenders can see what Siege Projects are being taken against the city and how long the siege will last, recruit units in the city, and rally defenders from other places.
Once the timer has run out and the Fortification Health depleted to 0, the attacker can initiate the battle. The battle map is grim and ridden with destruction, and breaches have appeared in the walls. City Defense Structures and Siege Projects can also affect the battle map. Wall obstacles count as cover, making targets count as Obscured when they shoot over them.
Below you can find an overview of the game via Steam and the latest trailer showing the economy tutorial.
ABOUT AGE OF WONDERS 4
Rule a fantasy realm of your own design in Age of Wonders 4! Explore new magical realms in Age of Wonders’ signature blend of 4X strategy and turn-based tactical combat. Control a faction that grows and changes as you expand your empire with each turn.
Triumph Studios’ award-winning strategy series has emerged into a new age, evolving the game’s iconic empire building, role-playing, and warfare to the next level. A new storytelling event system and hugely customizable empires provide an endlessly replayable experience, where each game adds a new chapter to your ever-growing saga.
Powerful Wizard Kings have returned to the realms to reign as gods among mortals. Claim and master the Tomes of Magic to evolve your people, and prepare for an epic battle that will determine the ages to come.
- Craft your followers by combining bodily forms, societal traits and arcane powers. Build anything from a clan of cannibal halflings to mystic moon elves, or recreate your favorite fantasy tropes
- Seek powerful tomes of magic to enchant your armies and evolve your people! See your people physically change as they morph into angelic beings or scions of chaos to face their enemies.
- Seek glory through brutal domination, cunning alliances, or ultimate arcane knowledge, and write your legacy into the very fabric of the realm itself!
- Every choice opens up new possibilities and tactical advantages; deep, multilayered strategy allows you to try new tactics or explore new powers at every turn
- Tactical turn-based battles bring your armies to life, showcasing their power in an environment shaped by your decisions. From skirmishes with roaming monsters to vast sieges with dozens of units on each side, with the addition of a morale system and more features, every battle brings a fresh challenge
- Tremendous variety in empires, units, and environments keep the game endlessly replayable. Age of Wonders is more moddable and open-ended than ever in the series’ history
- Explore a new realm with each game – or create your own! Challenge new variations and combinations of locations and features, from frozen wastelands ruled by ice queens to desolated ruins where dragons roam
- A new event system provides unexpected levels of storytelling for 4X games. See your decisions shape the world around you, from growing cities and roaming armies to world-warping magic effects
- Guide your empire to greatness – but the story doesn’t end with your victory or defeat! Ascend your rulers to an in-game pantheon and unlock ways to further customize your experience. Encounter your own creations as potential rivals or allies in subsequent games, and experience the next chapter in your own story!