Glorious Companions is a promising turn-based tactical RPG that takes some inspirations from Battle Brothers but seems to offer a lot of freedom as you can choose different paths like the classic mercenary, becoming a merchant or even found your own kingdom, it’s all up to you.
Glorious Companions takes place in the world of Navaroth. At the beginning of the adventure you are alone with some servant, then growing and becoming more powerful you can decide whether to investigate the mystery of the Ancient Guardians.
Recruit And Customize Your Companions
At the very
Remember that the journey is not a fairy tale. You will scramble for gold to keep your party fed, rested and more importantly, with their pouches full of coins – as your men will not stay with you for very long without their wages paid on time.
Your units earn experience points proportionate to their contribution on the battlefield. Send them to train in militia barracks or to master new abilities in distant shrines and they’ll come back stronger a few days later. You’ll be able to choose from a plethora of different equipment to gear them appropriately.
Send your mens to train in militia barracks or to master new abilities in distant shrines and they’ll come back stronger a few days later.
Each item and armor piece has different qualities and there are no clear-cut best builds for every possible scenario – all the weapons are designed to be viable under favorable conditions.
Lead Your Men By Example
Folks say that a brave commander doesn’t hide behind their troops. What they don’t tell you, though, is that they’re usually not alive for their second battle. You’ll have to be very careful to not overextend and yet not appear too scared to join the fray, as your men will take notice of that.
You’ll unlock more unique commander abilities as you progress in the game.
Depending on your starting archetype your lord commander will provide a different aura that helps nearby companions. Fighter’s Command is a buff that will help you to build a protective formation around your commander by granting nearby units a shielding/parrying bonus for each ally unit in direct contact with one another. Skirmisher’s Path on the other hand, grants a dodging and mobility boost for nearby units who are not standing next to allies. You’ll unlock more unique commander abilities as you progress in the game.
Pick Your Own Path
The game is a big breathing world where things happen even if you stay idle or focus on doing your own thing. Decide between rising in the ranks of the chosen faction, or risk making more enemies by founding your own kingdom; between playing dirty and taking any advantage you can, or becoming an honorable hero; between making bank and making allies.
Your end game is dependant on your play style and the actions you took. There’s no set story in the world of Navaroth. You may end up managing wood supplies between a dozen cities you own.
The game is a big breathing world where things happen even if you stay idle or focus on doing your own job.
Who knows, you might simply enjoy the life of a vigilante’s band leader and decide to stay on the run. This is your story.
- Custom and gritty combat system: no one is invincible as a single well-aimed strike can take out a careless warrior.
- No battle is truly over until it’s over: eliminate the enemy captain to win the battle, but be careful as it works the other way around too!
- Tried and proven formula: the world of Navaroth has its roots in an original pen-and-paper RPG system featuring a science-based magic system.
- Pick your side: become an ally to the vengeful Scarres or join the ranks of the wise Valrenay militia. More factions will be revealed during the development.
- Take care of your men: keep their morale high by serving them luxury food and alcohols, train them at special facilities when they gather enough experience and crucially – don’t let them bleed out after a tough battle.
- No two soldiers are ever the same: play to your units natural predispositions, train and equip them to your liking.
- New world on each playthrough: the continent and its political climate are procedurally generated at the beginning of every journey.
- Start small and expand: focus first on making a name for yourself as a lord by winning small skirmishes, or lay the foundations of a thriving merchant guild.
- More power means more responsibility: a wise leader is not merely an army commander; attend to a variety of political and economic issues as your empire grows.
- Danger from afar: try not to get too complacent, as the Ancient Guardians eventually wake up and threaten the known world.
Ancient Forge Studio is formed by two friends from the middle school times that kept working together on various projects along the years.
Release date & Platforms
Glorious Companions will be released in early access at the beginning of Q2 2019. For now, will be focused for PC but Ancient Forge Studio will look towards the consoles in the future.
[…] Glorious Companions is a tactical RPG that offer great freedom. We covered it few days ago. Read our overview to learn more. […]