|Release date: |
20 March 2020
|Official website: https://thepalecity.com/|
The Pale City is a story-driven, dark fantasy RPG with an emphasis on characterization and atmosphere. Explore a dangerous, morally complex world where every detail is personal.
In-game Background Story
A world where children aren’t born—they crawl out of tunnels in the ground. A lone city, beneath the gaze of a silent god, home to strange cults who eat the dead. The Pale City is the story of a mercenary hired to find the last, most powerful artifact of a sorcerer who disappeared lifetimes ago. But the search pits him against powerful people in hidden places, towards a secret buried somewhere in terrible darkness.
An Unconventional, Character-Driven Story: Written and designed by novelist Kyle Muntz, The Pale City tells the story of one man’s struggle against a merciless world and the emptiness inside himself.
- A Sense of Place: Discover a city ravaged by time, cruelty, and the cold silence of apathetic gods.
- An Attention to Detail: Every NPC has a unique personality; every line of description tells something important about the world.
- The Price of Survival: Tense, unforgiving combat that rewards close observation and careful use of skills, where a single mistake can mean defeat.
- No Grinding: Every battle is unique and necessary.
- A Solitary Journey: Can you survive, alone and outnumbered, when even your friends seek to destroy you?
- Every screen is full of vivid descriptive text. No room is an empty room.
- Search carefully to learn more about Vasek’s thoughts, feelings, and even earn extra experience!
- A dark, ambient soundtrack, emphasizing the unique mood of each place.
- Hidden secrets, including an ultra-powerful secret boss!
The Pale City was developed over a period of 7 years by one person. Though this is his first game, it also draws from his background as a novelist. Kyle Muntz books include Scary People and Green Lights, and he has published short stories in Lightspeed Magazine, Fiction International, and elsewhere.
As a lifelong fan of storytelling in video games, this project is a very personal attempt to combine influences from everything he loves, no matter how disparate the genre: to begin with the sheer wonder of Planescape Torment, tether it to the focused storytelling of Earthbound or Final Fantasy, and infuse it with the cerebral atmospherics of Kentucky Route Zero or Pathologic.
Official website: https://thepalecity.com/
Release date & platforms
PC. Available on Steam March 20th, 2020.