Hi! Aiori here. How is everyone? I hope that life is good and you are all well. 2021 as with every year is full of many gaming festivals. This time was the turn of the Tokyo Game Show. Taking place from 30th September to 3rd October. With a promising streaming event and several new games showcased across several genres. From our time spent at the festival, we at Turn-based Lovers received some good news we’d like to share. To alert you to what the future offers in turn-based gaming. Please read on.
Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream
Let’s start with a new title in the Atelier saga. The continuation of Atelier Sophie. A cute world where time passes and the weather changes. Where players partake in adventures to improve their ability in alchemy, among other factors. Where battles are fought using a turn-based combat system. Release Date: 25/02/2022.
Our next game saw the latest title of the Disciples saga. Containing several changes from its predecessors, but imbued with the same essence. A game we here at Turn-based Lovers managed to spend some time playing at the show. Release Date: 21/10/2021 on Steam.
- 80+ hour single-player campaign: experience a sprawling dark fantasy epic over three acts, with more than 270 quests and objectives, and five unique endings to unlock
- Explore a war-torn realm: journey through a sprawling world in ruin and work to unearth its endless secrets, hidden treasures, and bloody past
- Write your own story: pick from four uniquely skilled classes and define your place in the world, recruiting others to your cause from an assortment of factions
- Build a base: take on quests for precious resources and use your political savvy to build a place of planning and sanctuary
- Fight for your life: recruit 50+ units and amass an army best suited to your play style; hone both steel and spell in intricate-turned based combat.
- Challenge deadly bosses: test your mettle and pit your party against horrific monsters and beasts, each requiring a unique strategy
- Choice is everything: let your decisions guide your fate and directly influence what sort of leader you become
Our next game turned out to be a new Dungeon Crawler by Square Enix. From the director of Final Fantasy IX. Something different in style and gameplay mechanics in comparison to other titles from the genre. Release Date: 14/10/2021 on Steam.
- Events: By uncovering and visiting spaces with white numbers, you may obtain items, unlock and change abilities, restore your party to health, find hidden merchants, and much more. Battle encounters, marked with black numbers, are hidden throughout the map. However, they can be revealed with a special ability, allowing you to choose when and where to engage your enemies. Previously discovered events will be recorded in the Event Log, a valuable resource that allows you to reference past experiences to tackle future challenges.
- Battles: Test your strategies in thrilling battles, featuring the Active Time Battle (ATB) system made famous by the FINAL FANTASY series. Under the direction of Ito Hiroyuki, creator of the ATB system, battles play out in real-time, utilizing a polished and refined iteration of this classic design, which promises exciting, challenging combat.
- Map: The blank map awaits you, and by exploring and investigating every tile on each level, you will be awarded ability points. Navigate obstacles, including secret passages and hidden traps, and conquer the dungeon!
The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki (Trails in the dark)
A new announcement was a new game set in the world of the Legend of Heroes. This promises a good amount of new mechanics and yet more turn-based combat. For the moment it is earmarked for release in Japan only. No release date was provided.
Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin. New content
There was also a preview of Monster Hunter Stories 2 following free updates. More monsters and quests are coming! No release date was provided.
This title looks set to deliver a strategy game with turn-based tactics and mechas. I know what you think, a new Front Mission-like game, but from the images and videos, it looks more like a Super Robot Wars game. Release Date: 17/02/22 exclusively on Ps4 & Ps5.
Star Melody: Yumemi Dreamer
The premise of this game remained unclear in the video, but all signs indicate a dungeon crawler with idols and rhythm mini-games. No release date was provided.
For sure one of the most anticipated games. From Octopath Traveler devs comes a promising RPG that features tactical battles on square grid maps. Triangle Strategy is an exclusive Nintendo Switch Game. Release Date: 3/04/2022
Voice of Cards The Isle of Dragon Roars
A game with an interesting concept for card lovers. With a world that promises their comprehensive use throughout all of its game systems. From exploration to fighting battles. Expected on PC – Ps4 – Xbox – Switch. Release Date: 28/10/2021.
Warriors of Nile 2
A Chess-like battlefield arena game. Set in the Ancient Egypt, where players must face and resist the Roman Army. Release Date: 2022. On Steam
- Explore ruins, visit merchants, and challenge the arena in adventure mode;
- Light up carvings to gain more battle bonuses;
- Build a capital and restore the glory of pharaohs past;
- Level up your warriors to unlock new tablets and equipment.
Yu-Gi-Oh Master Duel
Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel will therefore be available for free during the winter, so ideally between the months of December 2021 and March 2022, for PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Steam, iOS and Android.Release Date: Winter 2021.
Shikabane-gurai no Bouken Meshi
Nippon Ichi announced a new strategy RPG during the show. I’m talking about Shikabane-gurai no Bouken Meshi. The game will be available on Ps4 & Nintendo Switch in Japan on January 27 2022.
We had a great time at the Tokyo Game Show but now we would like to know what you think about the games highlighted above? What do you think of them? With so many new and interesting JRPGS and games from the turn-based genre on the horizon, we can hardly contain ourselves. With some closer to release than others, we can’t help but feel impatient. Now it is just a matter of waiting a little more time to get our hands on them.