Born in 1990 with Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light, Fire Emblem is a very long-lived series developed by Intelligent Systems. The franchise has seen so many sequels and spin-offs going on and now that we are writing this article, the brand new Fire Emblem Three Houses has come out a few weeks ago.
Unfortunately, the franchise is a Nintendo exclusive and for those who, like me, only have a trusted PC, there is no way to get their hands on the series. But let’s roll up our sleeves and take a look at what are PC games that take inspiration from Fire Emblem and that indeed remember it in the game mechanics.
Strengthened by the success achieved with the Advance Wars series, Intelligent Systems decided to create this new series, basing it on the consolidated elements of their war strategy but going to give it a fantasy style and RPG mechanics. The formula was successful and has become a reference point for turn-based strategy, so as to inspire many developers.
The list is ordered by release date and for each title, you will find videos and links to their steam page. Let’s start with our list of PC games like Fire Emblem and thank Danceman for all his suggestions.
Farland Story – 1993
The first in a series of six, this is a turn-based strategy game in a fantasy setting launched for PC-98 and then ported on PC.
Shining Force I & II – 2011
A great classic launched in 1992 for megadrive. The two chapters of the series have been reported on PC by SEGA in 2011. In Shining Force we find all the distinctive elements of the Fire Emblem series and certainly a highly recommended title for lovers of this genre.
Telepath Tactics – 2015
Developed by Sinister Design, Telepath Tactics is a turn-based game inspired by Fire Emblem and Disgaea. There are many features that the game offers, such as the possibility of building bridges, traps, and barricades or the possibility of pushing enemies into the lava. 23 Classes for more than 110 different types of attacks.
- Shove enemies off of cliffs! Fling enemies into environmental hazards like traps, water, and lava!
- Destroy walls, freeze water, build bridges and lay explosives, changing the face of the battlefield to your advantage!
- Build an army from among 23 different classes; learn more than 110 distinct attacks as you level up your characters, then promote those characters to powerful prestige classes!
- Deal with merchants to keep your army well-supplied; make hard choices about your priorities both on and off the battlefield.
- Play with friends in 2-6 player hotseat multiplayer matches with randomized item drops, multiple play modes, and support for army alliances!
- Use the Telepath Tactics map editor to build your own campaigns, and download other peoples’ creations to play!
Clarent Saga: Tactics – 2017
Clarent Saga: Tactics developed by David Nguyen is a TRPG inspired by classic 16 bits TRPGs.
- Adjustable difficulty (8 Difficulties) and a lot of options;
- Around 40 playable characters;
- Around 55 Small Maps and more with some variation (good replayability);
- A branching storyline with moral ambiguity and dark themes (choose your own path!);
- Great classical Music (3 hours soundtrack);
- Fast strategic battle.
Legion Tale – 2017
Legion Tale is a turn-based tactic developed by Maulidan Games set in a medieval continent of Agia. Follow the story of a great war between two races, where you are the leader of a small legion putting your life to restore the world after the ambush of the Dark Lord’s forces. As you progress, you’ll uncover a hidden truth behind the never-ending conflict that engulfs the continent since a long time ago between the ruling states.
- A story inspired by a lot of classic tactical games.
- Enjoy up to 30 chapters of epic battles.
- Tactical Combo Battle System (TCBS).
- Affinity Triangle. (Strength > Wisdom > Agility > Strength)
- Beautiful, carefully designed pixel art combat animations.
- Linear story with beautiful hand-drawn background painting.
- Challenging turn-based combat, each with various kind of objectives from Kill Targets, Survive, Escape, and Elimination.
- Meet 10 different heroes and follow their story.
Legend of Cina – 2019
Developed by Yunkai, Legend of China is a turn-based tactician faithful to the mechanics of Fire Emblem. The game presents a very simple scheme with the development of heroes and abilities. The project has been updated recently with the addition of magical weapons. There is also the possibility to download a demo version to test the quality of the project.
Falnarion Tactics – 7 Jan 2019
Indie project developed by Team Syukino. (with several games already published) Falnarion Tactics presents an intriguing story consisting of 12 chapters. During the adventure, our heroes can reach level 20 by acquiring bonus points by completing missions.
- Level each unit individually to level 20 with a class change option for some at level 10.
- Earn bonus points during main story missions and side quests and use to purchase items or towards leveling.
- Various shops to purchase a wide variety of Weapons, Items and etc.
- A durability system that provides limited usage on all gear, prompting you to use your skills wisely.
- A revival system that allows you to bring back your fallen teammates with an item.
- Weapon triangle system for a combative advantage.
- Extras section with unlock-able character bios, soundtrack, and picture gallery.
- Several side quests to sink your teeth into.
- Main story with 12 chapters.
- Engaging turn-based combat system.
Falnarion Tactics II – 15 Jul 2019
Released just a few months later, the title continues to tell the events of the first chapter, this time in the role of a leader of a clan that fights against the Inelda empire. During the story we will meet new & old friends…
- Features several story chapters.
- Several side-quests.
- Durability system.
- Revival system.
Langrisser – 27 August 2019
Another historical series originally created by Masaya Games in 1991 for Mega Drive consoles. The series has had many chapters and several remakes, until the release of this mobile version to respond to Fire Emblem Heroes.
- Embark on a Magical Quest for the Legendary Sword!
- Classic Turn-based Strategic Battles!
- Upgrade Classes and Choose Your Destiny!
- Stunning Anime Art Style!
- Slay Epic Bosses with Your Friends in Huge Real-Time Battles!
- Guild Battles Are Here! A New Challenge Awaits!
- Voiced by an All-Star Cast of Japanese Voiceover Legends!
- Original Score by Composer Noriyuki Iwadare!
- Revisit Over 300 Classic Levels!
- Collect Your Favorite Heroes from the Langrisser Series!
Vestaria Saga – Sometimes in 2019
A turn-based game developed by Vestaria Project. A team led by Shouzou Kaga, creator of the very first Fire Emblem. The English localized version is close to being released on Steam.
- An enthralling campaign of espionage, international intrigue, and war written by veterans of the genre.
- Classically Styled Strategy RPG gameplay on a grid-based map.
- Two finely tuned difficulty modes to accommodate both strategy veterans and newcomers.
- A full English script translated from the original Japanese by the best in the business.
- Full support for both USB controllers and keyboard & mouse.
Rise Eterna – Q2 2019
Stylistically one of the best titles similar to Fire Emblem on PC. 14 characters to unlock through hidden content and hidden challenges. Many possibilities for customization and a growth system through crafting.
- Build your army: 14 characters and countless personalization possibilities. Learn skills, recruit unique heroes, and prepare them for battle. Turn them into war machines, the Empire deserves your wrath.
- Craft: develop your characters using gems, crafted with numerous ingredients looted during battles.
- Rich story: experience and share critical moments of Lua and Natheal’s life.
- Hidden content: will you be able to find all the hidden characters and challenges? The game is deeper than you might think at first glance, search everywhere and become the unquestionable champion of “Ars Rare kingdom”.
- Nostalgia on steroid: you loved Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics – discover Rise Eterna, a tribute to those classic titles, but with a modern twist.
Langrisser I & II – 2020
The remake of the first 2 chapters of the series with graphic improvements and quality of life. Definitely a title not to be missed for all lovers of tactical turn-based games.
- A Blade Honed to Perfection – Experience two classic titles with new art, music, and presentation.
- Modernizing a Timeless Tale – Perfectly re-tuned gameplay for a modern SRPG feel.
- Langrisser and Alhazard – Two legendary swords, two legendary tales—revitalized with new localization and a new character!
Some games like Wargroove, Shattered Throne & Battle for Wesnoth have not been included in this list because for various factors you find them in the list of games similar to Advance Wars.