updated to 21 June 2019
2019 will be a year full of interesting turn-based games, both indie and not so I prepared a list with some of the games I’m following. In this list, you will find the most promising (for me) turn-based strategy / tactical / RPGs with a release date scheduled for 2019. As in my other lists, I will try to keep them updated adding new games that I will discover and that will be suggested by the community. In the list, you will find strategic games, tactical games, and classic RPGs as long as they have turn-based mechanics. For each game, there will be a video, links to their official website, steam page, my overviews, and their release date. Regarding the release date, it may vary over the course of time, so sometimes it may not coincide. Let’s start with my list of the top upcoming tactical turn-based strategy RPGs of 2019.
A tactical RPG inspired by Final Fantasy Tactics where elemental magic interacts with the natural world to have complex consequences.
- Vast open-world exploration
- Highly interactive natural systems such as terrain height, soil moisture, plant growth, fluid flow, heat and fire
- 25+ goblin evolutions: shamans, druids, warlocks, wights, lavamancers, bog witches, knights, and more
Official Website | Release date: late 2019
We are the Plague
A hand-drawn tactical turn-based game where we are guided by the Plague as he seeks revenge around a dark-fantasy world. More info
Steam page | Release date: Q4 2019
Original tactical turn-based game set in Eastern Europe during World War II, full of style, roguelike elements and a compelling story inspired by titles like Frozen Synapse, X-Com and Banner Saga. Here’s an overview of the game.
- Tactical RPG with diverse characters. Experience the story through the eyes of each soldier as they fight for survival during WW2.
- Turn-based planning with simultaneous execution (WeGo turn-based gameplay)
- Authentic tactical choices: suppression, destructible cover, realistic ballistics, and camouflage are at your disposal.
- Rogue-like campaign structured with different narrative paths, resources, and permadeath.
- A challenge for even the most experienced gamer. A far-reaching morale system means that the soldiers may desert at any moment if you prove to be incompetent.
- An emotional story, tense atmosphere, and multiple endings based on the decisions that you make.
Official Website | Release date: Q4 2019
A new Sci-Fi Turn-based game developing by 3MIND GAMES. An interesting mixing of XCOM, MASS EFFECT, and DIVINITY. The combat is focusing on a melee system, with combo, defense movements and more. Learn more with my overview.
- A UNIQUE MARTIAL ARTS COMBAT SYSTEM
- DYNAMIC DIALOGUE SYSTEM
- INITIATIVE AND ACTION POINTS SYSTEM
Official Website | Release date: 2019
The ‘spiritual successor’ of the original X-COM directed by Julian Gollop. With Phoenix Point we will talk about non-linear progression, dynamically destructible environments, soldiers customizations, procedurally generated world and enemies, different factions and much more. Learn more with my overview
- A mutating alien threat.
- Turn-based, squad-based battles.
- The Geoscape is reborn.
- Intricate and challenging boss battles.
- Deep and extensive soldier development and customization.
- A vast array of weapons and equipment.
- Procedural, destructible environments.
- Diverse and dynamic missions.
Official website | Release date: Mid 2019
A promising title inspired by tactical turn-based game classics from the 90s. In the management of skills and job class that Arcadian Atlas finds its deepest factor. The system adopted for the management of classes and skills is inspired by classics like Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre. Learn more with my overview
- Hand-painted character art & a pixel-perfect world designed by artist Becca Bair (Vidar, Dreamblazers). A labor of love!
- Turn-based battle system provides limitless strategy & challenges.
- Epic storyline and 3-dimensional characters fleshed out by writer Taylor Bair (Business of Indie, Planet Destiny) will leave you intrigued & attached.
- Grid-based tactics play style hits all the right nostalgia chords
- Retro-style sound effects & modern chilled out jazz tunes by Moritz P.G. Katz (Fort Meow, German Wahnsinn) bridge the gap between yesterday & today.
- Never-before-seen job classes with zero filler skills will keep you chasing that AP.
- Marries tried & tested classic tactical RPG gameplay with new job class customizations & unique crafting mechanics that help evolve the genre.
Developed by Shockwork Games, Alder’s Blood is a promising dark tactical turn-based strategy game. A game that I have been following for quite some time, and which I think is very interesting. Read my overview to learn more.
- no RNG system in the base mechanics; forget all the missed shots fired just 1 meter in front of your enemy;
- Darkness System can surprise you by changing the rules on the game in the middle of the fight;
- Stamina System – fail miserably just by losing your breath during combat;
- Senses System – monsters can hear and SMELL you! Beware of the wind;
- Strategy – a second gameplay layer, where you can research new gear, craft items and prepare for the next encounter
From the creators of Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera comes Wasteland 3! Following the critically acclaimed releases of 2014’s Wasteland 2 and 2015’s Wasteland 2: Director’s Cut, fans have been clamoring for a direct sequel.
- A party-based role-playing game, with a renewed focus on our trademark complex story reactivity and strategic combat.
- By including vehicles, environmental dangers, and a revamped, more fluid action system, we are evolving on Wasteland 2’s deep tactical turn-based combat and unique encounter design.
- Play by yourself or with a friend in story-driven synchronous or asynchronous multiplayer. Choices open up (or close off) mission opportunities, areas to explore, story arcs, and lots of other content.
- Your Ranger Base is a core part of the experience. As you help the local people and establish a reputation in Colorado, quests and narrative will force you to make decisions on how to lead.
- The game will be set in the savage lands of frozen Colorado, where survival is difficult and a happy outcome is never guaranteed. Players will face difficult moral choices and make sacrifices that will change the game world.
- Wasteland 3 will feature a deep and engaging story utilizing a newly-revamped dialog tree system from the celebrated writers of Torment: Tides of Numenera.
- Simultaneously releasing to Windows, Mac, Linux, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
Official Website | Release date: Sometimes in 2019
Is a turn-based roguelike RPG currently developed by EiDemiurge. Eidolons will feature a fully explored world map with dungeons and places of interest. Learn more here
- Innovative ATB (turn-based) combat with unique mechanics and gritty realistic rules
- Crazy-Deep and Flexible Hero Customization
- Great replayability value in Fugue mode on the global Adventure Map
- Unique companions that follow your Orders (or don’t) in their own ways, just like real ones would
- Advanced Visibility system that makes you take lighting seriously, as it can be your ally or foe in the predatory game of stealth and survival.
- Choose from among 20 Backgrounds, lowly or noble-born, human or dwarf, half-elf or Returned.
- High Fantasy meets Eldritch Horror!
- Open-world with just the essentials – main hero, his progression, his party, their rise, and survival; no item-hoarding, romance or cat-saving quests. Eidolons offer a high-level play – the game only gives you big decisions to make, and the consequences are equally noteworthy.
Official website | Release date: 2019
Encased is a role-playing game set in a post-apocalyptic sci-fi world. The story begins in an alternate 1970’s and revolves around the exploration of the Dome, a massive structure of unknown origin, discovered in a remote desert. Learn more here
- Encased is a modern single player sci-fi post-apocalyptic isometric role-playing game. It’s all about exploration, adventures, and survival inside a sealed territory.
- Heavily inspired by the famous isometric RPGs of the late 90’s and early 2000’s.
- The player is a participant in a project researching the technology and artifacts of a long-gone civilization. Wondrous discoveries, mysterious artifacts, and dangerous anomalies are constant companions.
- The story campaign will last twenty-five to thirty hours with significant replay potential. Play any character you want and watch the world change in response to your actions.
- The game will feature turn-based combat. All mechanics are designed to give players a large number of tactical choices, freedom of action and an ability to approach every combat situation in a unique and creative way.
Heralds of the Order
A turn-based strategy game inspired by The Banner Saga. under development at the Bulgarian indie Archean Games studio. There will be about 20 story missions. In the combat phase, the strategic positioning of our units and the combined exploitation of skills will be crucial. Learn more with my overview
- Turn-based tactical combat boiled down to its core principles. Where positioning and countering the enemies defenses are the key to victory.
- Hand drew line art and animations with 6 unique environments.
- Over 20 handcrafted missions with optional pickups containing powerful God Powers which provide you an edge for the rest of your journey.
- Adapt your strategy! Customize your parties stats and chose from the numerous God Powers to overcome the challenges ahead of you.
- Unique boss fights with devastating attacks requiring perfect positioning to avoid.
- 8 party members each with there unique motivations and abilities.
Official website | Release date: Q1/Q2 2019
A new Sci-Fi tactical turn-based game inspired by XCOM is under development by the Russian developer GDT. The game is a free to play online game where we can tackle both multiplayer and single-player missions. Learn more with my overview
- Experience intense tactical online multiplayer action.
- Explore a deep plot and unique storyline built on both single-player and multiplayer missions.
- Upgrade your weapons and armor from a massive selection of 100 guns and 10 weapon classes – including high-tech and alien weapons.
- Customize your characters with 12 classes and 160 skills.
- Lay waste to the environment for tactical purposes!
- Enjoy procedurally-generated maps, day and night missions, and changing weather conditions.
- Join clans and take part in a complex alliance system.
An open-world campaign, researches, and upgrades for weapons and armor and battles in Xcom style. We will have the phase dedicated to the management of our headquarters, to the exploration of the planet and the combat phase. Learn more with my overview
- Turn-Based Tactical Action
- Open-world campaign
- RPG-style character progression
- Weapon and Equipment Research and Customization
- Multiple Endings
- Challenging Enemy AI (Uses Cover – Flanks- Runs Away)
- Multiple Controllable Races
- Varied Cast of Opponents
- Multiple Unique Factions
- Morale Management
- Gene Modifications
- Moral and Ethical Impact on Decisions
Guile & Glory: Firstborn
An interesting mix between Into the Breach and Golden Axe for this promising indie turn-based tactical game by Elston Studios. We will have to guide our characters on grid maps and defeat our enemies by exploiting the abilities of each of our hero and above all by master deadly traps and savage hazards. Learn more
Official website | Release date: early 2019
Monster Sanctuary (actually in early access)
Monster Sanctuary mixes platform elements with those of the classic turn-based RPG and does it with style. Learn more here.
- Strategical turn-based combat
- Every monster has a unique skill tree. This lets you individualize your monster to pursue different strategies
- Feeding and equipping your monsters to improve their stats further emphasizes this aspect
- A combo system that gives additional depth to the combat
- Combat ratings that emphasize efficient combat completion
- Using monster abilities to unlock new areas
A new promising medieval turn-based strategy game was announced a few days ago by the German indie developer ArgonWood. During the game, we need to collect tax and resources. Dictate rations and fieldwork. Forge weapons, reshape the battlefield, raise armies, and build mighty fortified cities. In the battle phase (that reminds me a lot of BATTLE BROTHERS) we can use our soldiers and special cards. Learn more here
- Find the perfect balance – juggle production, resource gathering, diplomacy and treason, tax and rations – all vital in the success of your provinces
- Strategic battles – besiege your enemy’s cities to starve them out, go all-out attack, or wait for them to come to you
- Subtle variables – Morale, terrain and fortifications have a huge impact on battle, and the tide can turn quickly
- Up to 4-player simultaneous multiplayer – no need to wait for each individual player to take their turn
- The psychology of war – Play mind games with your opponents with advanced social interactions
- Customization – Tailor your leader’s look and skills, and craft your perfect cities and troops
- Take your pick – React to 50 different events and collect unique cards to surprise your enemy!
- Risks and opportunities – React to figures that visit your province. Find ways to take advantage, and work quickly to eliminate threats!
The Hand of Merlin
The Hand of Merlin by CroTeam is a turn-based rogue-lite RPG in which Arthurian legend clashes with sci-fi horror.
- A Roguelike Experience
- Tactical Turn-Based Combat
- Non-Linear Narrative
- Dynamic Leveling
- Equipment Upgrades
- Alternate Dimensions
More than a simple restyling of the classic ADOM. More than a simple restyling of the classic ADOM. In Ultimate Adom we will find better graphics, new mechanics, a deep spells system and much more.
- A modern reimagining of traditional rogue-like dungeon-crawling
- Endless procedurally generated dungeons and countless monsters and items allow for unlimited replayability
- Your class, gender, race and allegiance will change the way you play the game
- A deep magic system with unique effects and never-seen-before freedom of use
- Grafting! Turn yourself into an abomination and graft your enemies’ body parts on yourself. They won’t need them any more.
- Choose or toggle between graphic mode and traditional ASCII at any time.
- “Play the way you want” – countless options of how to tackle the dungeons awaiting you. Find your own style!
Official Website | Release date: 2019
Othercide by Lightbulb Crew is a horror-themed tactical turn-based game set in an esoteric world beyond our reality. The game will place the player in control of female warriors, in a desperate struggle to push back nightmarish creatures and prevent reality from shattering. Using only black, white and touch of red, the game will drag players into a whole new universe for the genre, to experience a journey through a strange and unknown world, a world that lays behind the mirror of their own minds. We will get more info about the game soon.
- Breaking the turn-based standard: Introducing the Initiative Sequence system, you will experience a new way to predict enemies’ moves and execute a flawless tactical plan. Foresee danger and set up attack interruptions, devastating delayed actions and lethal reactions. You will have to wisely time attacks and defenses to overcome your adversaries.
- Brutal gameplay: Including roguelite features, deadly missions, limited resources, and permanent death, every decision counts and comes with a sacrifice, of resources, or in blood!
- Memento mori: As you confront the deadly creatures of Othercide, awake your Daughters and unlock memories of a mystery past. With those mementos will come incredible powers or
- terrible traumas for your Daughters. What will you be ready to sacrifice to ensure victory?
- Never ending war: Survive, protect and defend reality from shattering, try to endure as long as possible while facing terrible and sometimes deadly choices. Even in defeat, new truths are learned, and options arise as sacrifices bring you closer to success.
- Striking art style: Othercide invites you to dive into an ethereal horror dimension, in-between two realities, brought to life with a dark and twisted monochromatic style, with a touch of vivid red.
Wildermyth: Stories of the Yondering Lands
Wildermyth: Stories of the Yondering Lands is a tactical turn-based RPG currently under development by the indie Texan Worldwalker Games studio. Inside we will find many interesting elements such as dynamic stories, Characters that grow old, Unique paper style, Free explorable world map, tactical turn-based combat and territory management. More details in our overview
- Turn-based battles on a tile board put intuitive tactics and startling power in your hands.
- Your characters learn abilities flavored by the breadth of their interactions.
- Tactile art evokes a papercraft world, inviting your fingers and feelings to take part in the game.
- Meet new and thoughtful characters who don’t know they’re heroes, and grow them into your own legends.
- Ramble over a world that’s always different, full of really weird things with odd names and twisty desires.
- See through the eyes of each character as you explore strange tales that change to suit your protagonists.
- Tell Your Own Memorable Stories
- Fight and win, sacrifice and survive, charge and flee. Sometimes die. A good story needs everything.
- Dynamically generated characters come with their own stories and are fully customizable.
- Keep memorable characters in a pantheon of legends, and call on them again to keep writing their myths.
If you’ve found some interesting game on this list, I ask you to share it and suggest me other cool turn-based games that I will add to this list. Also, check out my list with some of the most interesting turn-based games of 2018.