2019 will be a year full of interesting turn-based games, both indie and not so I prepared a list with some of the games I’m following. In this list, you will find the most promising (for me) turn-based strategy / tactical / RPGs with a release date scheduled for 2019. As in my other lists, I will try to keep them updated adding new games that I will discover and that will be suggested by the community. In the list, you will find strategic games, tactical games, and classic RPGs as long as they have turn-based mechanics. For each game, there will be a video, links to their official website, steam page, my overviews, and their release date. Regarding the release date, it may vary over the course of time, so sometimes it may not coincide. Let’s start with my list of the top upcoming tactical turn-based strategy RPGs of 2019.
From the creators of Halfway comes a new turn-based tactical RPG where we should unmask the plans of the Nazis in search of mysterious artifact and find out more about the death of our friend Morten. Each game will be different from the previous one, thanks to procedural maps and a different set of unique story encounters. Initially scheduled for 2018, it was postponed to 2019. Learn more with my overview.
- THRILLING VISUALS – Classic 16-bit pixel art enhanced with unprecedented depth, lighting and shadows using Pixel/Voxel Hybrid Technology.
- DYNAMIC ADVENTURES – No two adventures are the same; each campaign generates a new procedural map and a different set of unique story encounters.
- TOUGH CHOICES – Every location you visit presents a new hand-crafted story event to explore. Search the well? Save the villagers? It’s up to you!
- DECISIVE CONFLICTS – Use cover and positioning in exciting turn-based squad combat. Learn to maximize your items and abilities, as well as your team members’ strengths, in ruthless and clever ways!
- HIDDEN TREASURES – Discover rare artifacts to unlock new content and adventures! Recruit from 16 unique companions, each with their own starting equipment and skill trees!
A new Sci-Fi Turn-based game developing by 3MIND GAMES. An interesting mixing of XCOM, MASS EFFECT, and DIVINITY. The combat is focusing on a melee system, with combo, defense movements and more. Learn more with my overview.
- A UNIQUE MARTIAL ARTS COMBAT SYSTEM
- DYNAMIC DIALOGUE SYSTEM
- INITIATIVE AND ACTION POINTS SYSTEM
Official Website | Release date: 2019
Fell Seal: Arbiter’s Mark
From the indie 6 Eyes Studio comes a new turn-based Tactics RPG that is a worthy successor of Final Fantasy Tactics. I tried out the early access version and here’s you will find my first impressions.
- Experience an epic and mature story, unfolding through over 40 story encounters and topped with challenging end-game content.
- Classic tactical combat battles, with rugged terrain and elevation, taking place on beautiful hand-drawn environments.
- A deep and complex class system with over 20 classes and 200 abilities lets you truly customize every one of your characters through the selection of their class, sub-class and passives.
- Carefully craft the character you envision, be it a versatile generalist, a dedicated spell-caster or a mighty foe-crushing specialist!
- Customize your troops’ appearance your way, by selecting their portrait, outfit, colors and overall visuals from a wide selection.
- Equip your army with over 240 pieces of equipment, either purchased, gathered from fallen enemies or created from crafting.
The ‘spiritual successor’ of the original X-COM directed by Julian Gollop. With Phoenix Point we will talk about non-linear progression, dynamically destructible environments, soldiers customizations, procedurally generated world and enemies, different factions and much more. Learn more with my overview
- A mutating alien threat.
- Turn-based, squad-based battles.
- The Geoscape is reborn.
- Intricate and challenging boss battles.
- Deep and extensive soldier development and customization.
- A vast array of weapons and equipment.
- Procedural, destructible environments.
- Diverse and dynamic missions.
Official website | Release date: Mid 2019
A promising title inspired by tactical turn-based game classics from the 90s. In the management of skills and job class that Arcadian Atlas finds its deepest factor. The system adopted for the management of classes and skills is inspired by classics like Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre. Learn more with my overview
- Hand-painted character art & a pixel-perfect world designed by artist Becca Bair (Vidar, Dreamblazers). A labor of love!
- Turn-based battle system provides limitless strategy & challenges.
- Epic storyline and 3-dimensional characters fleshed out by writer Taylor Bair (Business of Indie, Planet Destiny) will leave you intrigued & attached.
- Grid-based tactics play style hits all the right nostalgia chords
- Retro-style sound effects & modern chilled out jazz tunes by Moritz P.G. Katz (Fort Meow, German Wahnsinn) bridge the gap between yesterday & today.
- Never-before-seen job classes with zero filler skills will keep you chasing that AP.
- Marries tried & tested classic tactical RPG gameplay with new job class customizations & unique crafting mechanics that help evolve the genre.
Developed by Shockwork Games, Alder’s Blood is a promising dark tactical turn-based strategy game. A game that I have been following for quite some time, and which I think is very interesting. Read my overview to learn more.
- no RNG system in the base mechanics; forget all the missed shots fired just 1 meter in front of your enemy;
- Darkness System can surprise you by changing the rules on the game in the middle of the fight;
- Stamina System – fail miserably just by losing your breath during combat;
- Senses System – monsters can hear and SMELL you! Beware of the wind;
- Strategy – a second gameplay layer, where you can research new gear, craft items and prepare for the next encounter
From the creators of Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera comes Wasteland 3! Following the critically acclaimed releases of 2014’s Wasteland 2 and 2015’s Wasteland 2: Director’s Cut, fans have been clamoring for a direct sequel.
- A party-based role-playing game, with a renewed focus on our trademark complex story reactivity and strategic combat.
- By including vehicles, environmental dangers, and a revamped, more fluid action system, we are evolving on Wasteland 2’s deep tactical turn-based combat and unique encounter design.
- Play by yourself or with a friend in story-driven synchronous or asynchronous multiplayer. Choices open up (or close off) mission opportunities, areas to explore, story arcs, and lots of other content.
- Your Ranger Base is a core part of the experience. As you help the local people and establish a reputation in Colorado, quests and narrative will force you to make decisions on how to lead.
- The game will be set in the savage lands of frozen Colorado, where survival is difficult and a happy outcome is never guaranteed. Players will face difficult moral choices and make sacrifices that will change the game world.
- Wasteland 3 will feature a deep and engaging story utilizing a newly-revamped dialog tree system from the celebrated writers of Torment: Tides of Numenera.
- Simultaneously releasing to Windows, Mac, Linux, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
Official Website | Release date: Sometimes in 2019
Is a turn-based roguelike RPG currently developed by EiDemiurge. Eidolons will feature a fully explored world map with dungeons and places of interest. Learn more here
- Innovative ATB (turn-based) combat with unique mechanics and gritty realistic rules
- Crazy-Deep and Flexible Hero Customization
- Great replayability value in Fugue mode on the global Adventure Map
- Unique companions that follow your Orders (or don’t) in their own ways, just like real ones would
- Advanced Visibility system that makes you take lighting seriously, as it can be your ally or foe in the predatory game of stealth and survival.
- Choose from among 20 Backgrounds, lowly or noble-born, human or dwarf, half-elf or Returned.
- High Fantasy meets Eldritch Horror!
- Open-world with just the essentials – main hero, his progression, his party, their rise, and survival; no item-hoarding, romance or cat-saving quests. Eidolons offer a high-level play – the game only gives you big decisions to make, and the consequences are equally noteworthy.
Official website | Release date: 2019
Encased is a role-playing game set in a post-apocalyptic sci-fi world. The story begins in an alternate 1970’s and revolves around the exploration of the Dome, a massive structure of unknown origin, discovered in a remote desert. Learn more here
- Encased is a modern single player sci-fi post-apocalyptic isometric role-playing game. It’s all about exploration, adventures, and survival inside a sealed territory.
- Heavily inspired by the famous isometric RPGs of the late 90’s and early 2000’s.
- The player is a participant in a project researching the technology and artifacts of a long-gone civilization. Wondrous discoveries, mysterious artifacts, and dangerous anomalies are constant companions.
- The story campaign will last twenty-five to thirty hours with significant replay potential. Play any character you want and watch the world change in response to your actions.
- The game will feature turn-based combat. All mechanics are designed to give players a large number of tactical choices, freedom of action and an ability to approach every combat situation in a unique and creative way.
Heralds of the Order
A turn-based strategy game inspired by The Banner Saga. under development at the Bulgarian indie Archean Games studio. There will be about 20 story missions. In the combat phase, the strategic positioning of our units and the combined exploitation of skills will be crucial. Learn more with my overview
- Turn-based tactical combat boiled down to its core principles. Where positioning and countering the enemies defenses are the key to victory.
- Hand drew line art and animations with 6 unique environments.
- Over 20 handcrafted missions with optional pickups containing powerful God Powers which provide you an edge for the rest of your journey.
- Adapt your strategy! Customize your parties stats and chose from the numerous God Powers to overcome the challenges ahead of you.
- Unique boss fights with devastating attacks requiring perfect positioning to avoid.
- 8 party members each with there unique motivations and abilities.
Official website | Release date: Q1/Q2 2019
A new Sci-Fi tactical turn-based game inspired by XCOM is under development by the Russian developer GDT. The game is a free to play online game where we can tackle both multiplayer and single-player missions. Learn more with my overview
- Experience intense tactical online multiplayer action.
- Explore a deep plot and unique storyline built on both single-player and multiplayer missions.
- Upgrade your weapons and armor from a massive selection of 100 guns and 10 weapon classes – including high-tech and alien weapons.
- Customize your characters with 12 classes and 160 skills.
- Lay waste to the environment for tactical purposes!
- Enjoy procedurally-generated maps, day and night missions, and changing weather conditions.
- Join clans and take part in a complex alliance system.
Classic turn-based combat is combined with a card system in the promising indie project by Drix Studios. Grand Guilds presents itself as a story driven turn-based tactical RPG that remember a lot Final Fantasy Tactics. We will have a map of the world where we can move from one point to another to deal with the missions of the main story or to complete the secondary quests. Learn more
- Turn-Based Strategy – Learn and master the fundamentals of tactical combat. In Grand Guilds positioning, terrain, and your action points will mean the difference between victory and defeat.
- Card Combat System – A diverse set of skill cards will form the abilities of your units, making every turn more dynamic and each decision more important and meaningful.
- Deck Building – Tailor each character to your playstyle by customizing their skill decks. Obtain powerful new abilities by completing quests or leveling your characters.
- Guild Quests – Embark on challenging, procedural missions that yield exciting rewards. Increase your guild’s reputation to earn bonuses that will aid you in combat.
- Diverse Cast – Each playable character has unique mechanics and abilities that enable them to fill various roles in your squad such as tank, support, and damage dealer.
- Epic Journey – Unravel the mysteries shrouding Irin, a continent on the brink of war. Follow Eliza and her companions as they journey through this vast, magical world.
- Partial Voice Acting – Heroes will shout out their actions in combat and express their feelings during dialogue with short voice lines.
An open-world campaign, researches, and upgrades for weapons and armor and battles in Xcom style. We will have the phase dedicated to the management of our headquarters, to the exploration of the planet and the combat phase. Learn more with my overview
- Turn-Based Tactical Action
- Open-world campaign
- RPG-style character progression
- Weapon and Equipment Research and Customization
- Multiple Endings
- Challenging Enemy AI (Uses Cover – Flanks- Runs Away)
- Multiple Controllable Races
- Varied Cast of Opponents
- Multiple Unique Factions
- Morale Management
- Gene Modifications
- Moral and Ethical Impact on Decisions
Guile & Glory: Firstborn
An interesting mix between Into the Breach and Golden Axe for this promising indie turn-based tactical game by Elston Studios. We will have to guide our characters on grid maps and defeat our enemies by exploiting the abilities of each of our hero and above all by master deadly traps and savage hazards. Learn more
Official website | Release date: early 2019
Monster Sanctuary mixes platform elements with those of the classic turn-based RPG and does it with style. Learn more here.
- Strategical turn-based combat
- Every monster has a unique skill tree. This lets you individualize your monster to pursue different strategies
- Feeding and equipping your monsters to improve their stats further emphasizes this aspect
- A combo system that gives additional depth to the combat
- Combat ratings that emphasize efficient combat completion
- Using monster abilities to unlock new areas
A new promising medieval turn-based strategy game was announced a few days ago by the German indie developer ArgonWood. During the game, we need to collect tax and resources. Dictate rations and fieldwork. Forge weapons, reshape the battlefield, raise armies, and build mighty fortified cities. In the battle phase (that reminds me a lot of BATTLE BROTHERS) we can use our soldiers and special cards. Learn more here
- Find the perfect balance – juggle production, resource gathering, diplomacy and treason, tax and rations – all vital in the success of your provinces
- Strategic battles – besiege your enemy’s cities to starve them out, go all-out attack, or wait for them to come to you
- Subtle variables – Morale, terrain and fortifications have a huge impact on battle, and the tide can turn quickly
- Up to 4-player simultaneous multiplayer – no need to wait for each individual player to take their turn
- The psychology of war – Play mind games with your opponents with advanced social interactions
- Customisation – Tailor your leader’s look and skills, and craft your perfect cities and troops
- Take your pick – React to 50 different events and collect unique cards to surprise your enemy!
- Risks and opportunities – React to figures that visit your province. Find ways to take advantage, and work quickly to eliminate threats!
Realms Beyond by Ceres Games is a classically inspired fantasy role-playing game with turn-based combat and a party system that allows you to control up to six characters at any one time.
- A complex turn-based combat system featuring hundreds of spells, feats and actions, based on the rules described in the (3.5e) Revised System Reference Document (SRD) covered by the
- Open Game License v1.0a (OGL) by Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
- Custom-built, isometric graphics engine that combines zoomable 2D and 3D technology to bring never-before-seen levels of detail to life in massive, hand-crafted levels
- A bustling open world spanning entire continents, replete with believable NPCs, complex cultures, factions, societies and a fascinating centuries-long history
- Create a party of up to six characters where you can choose from 7 different races and 8 different classes and completely customize their appearance, equipment, feats, and skills
- More than one hundred spells, each with unique, stunning visual effects
- Over a thousand individual items to use and interact with
- An epic background story, massive quests, uncounted missions, hordes of monsters and a world that is steeped in lore and mystery
- Create your own adventures, campaigns or even entire worlds using the powerful RPG Engine of Realms Beyond
Official Website | Release date: Early access end of 2019
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones
In Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones, the player journeys from a doomed Arkham into the depths of the Abyss. Create your own character based on 1920’s archetypes and carve a path through a broken and mysterious world.
- A hand drawn 2D world reflecting Lovecraft’s themes of cosmic horror and dread.
- Enemies, environments and storylines inspired by Lovecraft’s iconic original works. Take part in quests inspired by your favorite stories and see them play out according to your own decisions and role-playing style.
- Choose from 8 main character Archetypes, each with its own origin backstory and specialties.
- A host of weird companions will accompany you on your ill-starred journey: the lonely, antediluvian ‘Outsider’, a fallen soldier of the Great War reanimated by Herbert West. Recruit these and other outlandish beings to your crew.
- Your character’s Sanity and mental state will influence dialogue options. Mental illness comes with advantages as well as hindrances. Sometimes it pays to be mad in a world gone mad!
- Stygian’s Belief System determines how your characters cope with the warped reality of the new Arkham, as well as the rate at which they regenerate lost Sanity. Belief Systems also offer unique dialogue options, expanding the breadth of role-playing possibilities.
- A new kind of spell system which sometimes takes more than it gives. Being a master of the occult is not as simple as flinging colored missiles from your fingertips. The black magic of Stygian is potent but may cost you your mind, your health, and possibly even much more.
- Strategic, turn-based combat from a 2D perspective, similar to the classic Heroes of Might and Magic games.
- The struggle in Stygian is not to save the world, for that battle is lost already. Pursue your own goals in these end times: salvation, vendetta, or perhaps something darker.
The Hand of Merlin
The Hand of Merlin by CroTeam is a turn-based rogue-lite RPG in which Arthurian legend clashes with sci-fi horror.
- A Roguelike Experience
- Tactical Turn-Based Combat
- Non-Linear Narrative
- Dynamic Leveling
- Equipment Upgrades
- Alternate Dimensions
Overland is a squad-based survival strategy game with procedurally generated levels set in post-apocalyptic North America. In Overland, players guide an evolving cast of survivors on a road trip through a ruined continent. To survive the trip, players scavenge for fuel, weapons, and other supplies to help them keep moving and protect themselves from the strange, sound-sensitive creatures roaming the remains of North America.
- Squad-based tactical survival gameplay.
- Randomly generated encounters.
- Stunning art direction.
- Intuitive controls.
- Emergent narrative.
More than a simple restyling of the classic ADOM. More than a simple restyling of the classic ADOM. In Ultimate Adom we will find better graphics, new mechanics, a deep spells system and much more.
- A modern reimagining of traditional rogue-like dungeon-crawling
- Endless procedurally generated dungeons and countless monsters and items allow for unlimited replayability
- Your class, gender, race and allegiance will change the way you play the game
- A deep magic system with unique effects and never-seen-before freedom of use
- Grafting! Turn yourself into an abomination and graft your enemies’ body parts on yourself. They won’t need them any more.
- Choose or toggle between graphic mode and traditional ASCII at any time.
- “Play the way you want” – countless options of how to tackle the dungeons awaiting you. Find your own style!
Official Website | Release date: 2019
Othercide by Lightbulb Crew is a horror-themed tactical turn-based game set in an esoteric world beyond our reality. The game will place the player in control of female warriors, in a desperate struggle to push back nightmarish creatures and prevent reality from shattering. Using only black, white and touch of red, the game will drag players into a whole new universe for the genre, to experience a journey through a strange and unknown world, a world that lays behind the mirror of their own minds. We will get more info about the game soon.
- Breaking the turn-based standard: Introducing the Initiative Sequence system, you will experience a new way to predict enemies’ moves and execute a flawless tactical plan. Foresee danger and set up attack interruptions, devastating delayed actions and lethal reactions. You will have to wisely time attacks and defenses to overcome your adversaries.
- Brutal gameplay: Including roguelite features, deadly missions, limited resources, and permanent death, every decision counts and comes with a sacrifice, of resources, or in blood!
- Memento mori: As you confront the deadly creatures of Othercide, awake your Daughters and unlock memories of a mystery past. With those mementos will come incredible powers or
- terrible traumas for your Daughters. What will you be ready to sacrifice to ensure victory?
- Never ending war: Survive, protect and defend reality from shattering, try to endure as long as possible while facing terrible and sometimes deadly choices. Even in defeat, new truths are learned, and options arise as sacrifices bring you closer to success.
- Striking art style: Othercide invites you to dive into an ethereal horror dimension, in-between two realities, brought to life with a dark and twisted monochromatic style, with a touch of vivid red.
Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest
In Druidstone: The secret of the Menhir forest we will explore the vast Menhir forest full of ruins, dungeons, and points of interest. We will start our adventure almost completely naked and as we proceed, we will find more and more powerful weapons. The battles take place on a two-dimensional grid using a tactical, turn-based battle system. Learn more in my overview.
- A tactical turn- and tile-based battle system where every action, every turn counts.
- Upgrade the abilities of your heroes as you see fit using power gems obtained by completing missions and discovering hidden treasures.
- Challenging, hand-crafted missions with playtimes ranging from 15 minutes to 45 minutes.
- Solve devious non-combat puzzle levels to obtain rare equipment.
- A gripping, fantastic story of love and death centered around the main characters Leonhard, Aava and Oiko.
- A unique fantasy setting combining elements from western RPGs, JRPGs and tactical boardgames in unexpected ways.
- Play custom missions created by others or make your own campaigns with the upcoming Druidstone Level Editor available as a post release update.
Grimshade is a tactical role-playing game, in which you play as a party of adventurers, with intricate relationships between each member, in a most unusual setting.
A rich, deep, yet straightforward system of equipment-based skill and character role development. Weapons and gear determine a character’s effectiveness and their synergy with other characters. Party composition, skill builds, character positioning – everything has a significant impact on the outcome of battle.
- Grimshade is a tactical role playing game, in which you play as a party of adventurers, with intricate relationships between each member, in a most unusual setting.
- A rich, deep, yet straightforward system of equipment-based skill and character role development.
- Weapons and gear determine a character’s effectiveness and their synergy with other characters.
- Party composition, skill builds, character positioning – everything has a significant impact on the outcome of battle.
- Developing relationships between characters will improve their mutual combat effectiveness and influence events in the game.
- An entire world filled with exciting discoveries and awesome adventures.
Wildermyth: Stories of the Yondering Lands
Wildermyth: Stories of the Yondering Lands is a tactical turn-based RPG currently under development by the indie Texan Worldwalker Games studio. Inside we will find many interesting elements such as dynamic stories, Characters that grow old, Unique paper style, Free explorable world map, tactical turn-based combat and territory management. More details in our overview
- Turn-based battles on a tile board put intuitive tactics and startling power in your hands.
- Your characters learn abilities flavored by the breadth of their interactions.
- Tactile art evokes a papercraft world, inviting your fingers and feelings to take part in the game.
- Meet new and thoughtful characters who don’t know they’re heroes, and grow them into your own legends.
- Ramble over a world that’s always different, full of really weird things with odd names and twisty desires.
- See through the eyes of each character as you explore strange tales that change to suit your protagonists.
- Tell Your Own Memorable Stories
- Fight and win, sacrifice and survive, charge and flee. Sometimes die. A good story needs everything.
- Dynamically generated characters come with their own stories and are fully customizable.
- Keep memorable characters in a pantheon of legends, and call on them again to keep writing their myths.
If you’ve found some interesting game on this list, I ask you to share it and suggest me other cool turn-based games that I will add to this list. Also, check out my list with some of the most interesting turn-based games of 2018.